Alpe Adria Cycle Route
From Villach to Grado
from 490 €
7 Days / 6 Nights, possible extention up to Trieste, 8 Days / 7 Nights, 3/4* hotel
Web code IT244
SA 27.04 to 28.09.2019.
Special departure dates for at least 5 people.
SeasonsSeason 1: 27.04 and 28.09.2019
Season 2: 28.04-31.05 and 01.09-27.09.2019
Season 3: 01.06-31.08.2019
Price per person
490 € in double room, 3* and 4* hotels
- 6 nights hotel accommodation
- Breakfast buffet
- Maps, Roadbook
- Luggage transportation
- Hotline service
- Local taxes (approx. 10-15 €)
- Train transfer Villlach-Tarvisio Boscoverde (approx. 30 min., 10 € per person)
- Everything not mentioned in the section “Included”
180 € single room
100 € season 2
150 € season 3
80 € bike
190 € e-bike
85 € child trailer
15 € helmet
75 € extention up to Trieste, 8 Days / 7 Nights
Extra nights in double/single room with breakfast:
65/90 € in Villach
50/70 € in Aquileia
70/110 € in Grado
65/110 € in Trieste
90 € 3rd adult in room 7 Days / 6 Nights
120 € 3rd adult in room extention up to Trieste, 8 Days / 7 Nights
The reduction for the 3rd/4th child in room will be calculated on the basic price and seasons supplements according to the following table:
100% 0-2 years (baby cot to be paid on site)
50% 3-6 years
30% 7-10 years
Day by Day
Individual arrival in Villach, famous thermal resort on the river Drava.
2. Villach round tour (50 km)
Just a few kilometres from Villach, at the foot of the imposing mount Gerlitzen, you will meet the Ossiacher lake, the third largest lake of Carinthia. Cycling on the beautiful cycle path along the lake, you will reach famous holiday resorts such as Annenheim, Sattendorf, Bodensdorf, Steindorf and Ossiach. You will also have the chance to relax on the beach and enjoy the superb landscape.
3. Villach – Tarvisio – Venzone (40 km by train + 60 km by bike)
From Villach you will cross the border between Austria and Italy by train (ticket not included in the price) and in Tarvisio you will start cycling along the Alpe Adria Cycle path. Following the river Fella you will descend the Canale valley down to Pontebba, ancient border between the Italian Reign (and previously Serenissima Republic of Venice) and the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Further on, you will meet the ancient hamlets of the narrow Canal del Ferro (“iron canal”). At the end of the stage you will reach Venzone, a medieval town which has been declared national monument and famous for the production of lavender.
4. Venzone – Udine (55 km)
Leaving the Julian Alps behind you, you will follow the river Tagliamento and, before Osoppo, with a short deviation you can reach Gemona del Friuli, small medieval jewel.
Cycling among the gentle morainic hills, you will pass through the Cormor Park and will finally enter Udine, historic capital of the Friuli. It is also a town with a Venetian flair and hides some frescoes by Tiepolo. In the evening do not miss the ritual of the “tajut”: a glass of wine sipped in good company in one of the many typical taverns in the city centre.
5. Udine – Aquileia (50 km)
From the hill of the Udine castle you will start cycling in the fertile Bassa Friulana plain, full of history and waterways. At half of the stage you will reach Palmanova, an ideal city of the Renaissance, built by the Venetians as a fortress with the form of a nine-pointed star. Finally you will get to your today’s destination, Aquileia, whose important past is still visible among the imposing columns of the Roman Forum and the masterpieces of the ancient Basilica.
6. Aquileia round tour (45 km)
Folowing the scent of the sea you will cross the long bridge over the lagoon and finally you will reach the Adriatic Sea. You can have a break and relax on the sand beaches of Grado, the ancient port of Aquileia, known since the 19th century for its thermal springs. Further on you will continue on cycle path towards the Nature Reserve of Valle Cavanata, a wet land hosting many bird species. Finally, you can go back to Aquileia through the farming area of Fossalon.
After breakfast, end of services.
- - -
7. Aquileia – Trieste (50 km)
After crossing the river Isonzo, theatre of historic battles, you will cycle towards Trieste, the ancient port of the Habsburg Empire. On your way to Trieste do not miss the castles of Duino and Miramare, the latter magnificently built by Maximilian of Habsburg. You can shorten the stage by 30 km by taking the train from Monfalcone to Trieste (ticket not included in the tour price).
After breakfast, end of services.
Due to organisational reasons, weather conditions or provisions issued by local authorities, the itinerary may be subject to some changes before and/or during your holiday. For example, along the way you may find temporary deviations caused by roadworks, which cannot be foreseen; in this case please follow the indications you will find on site.
Total length: 260/310 km
Total vertical up: 640/840 m
Terrain: 85% tarmac, 15% unpaved
Train connection among the overnight stays: every day
Possibility to shorten the itinerary by taking the train: day 3, 4 , 5 and 7 if you arrive to Trieste
Mainly flat route with some ups and downs, on asphalted cycle paths or secondary roads with little traffic.
Easy cycling in mostly flat areas, with only few short climbs and descents. Little effort required, suitable for most people.
How to get there
Villach is connected with the following airports:
Klagenfurt: 40 km, Salzburg:180 km, Ljubljana: 120 km
Accommodation and meals
We personally choose all the hotels mindful of your comfort as well as the proximity to cycling paths and any relevant local sites.
You will be accommodated in 3/4* hotels.
All rooms have en suite facilities.
Some hotels located in mountainous places of Austria and northern Italy can be without air conditioning.
When you book the tour please specify the type of room requested:
- double room is a room with one double bed
- twin room is a room with two single beds
- triple room is usually a room with one double bed and a single bed or a rollaway
Bikes and accessories
Trekking bikes are available in various sizes in unisex/women’s or men’s models. At the moment of booking, you can choose among the following bikes:
- Trekking bike 21-gear Shimano
- aluminium frame
- rear rack
- comfort gel saddle
- anti-puncture Schwalbe tyres
You can also rent helmets for adults as well as children’s bikes and devices:
- Child seat: it is suitable for a maximum payload of 22 kg (0-4 yrs).
- Child trailer: with one seat and suitable for children who cannot ride a bike (0-4 yrs). The child trailer is designed for a maximum payload of 30 kg.
- Child bikes: bike frames with 20” and 24” wheels.
All rented adult bikes are equipped with:
1 cycle computer
1 Ortlieb one-sided saddlebag
1 front bar bag or 1 map holder
1 water bottle (0.75 l)
1 repair kit per room: 1 spare inner tube, glue, patch, a pump, 2 allen keys and tyre levers
1 combination bike lock
At the moment of booking you can also rent helmets, suitable for head circumferences from 54 to 61.
The Information Pack (one per room) includes:
- final hotel list: due to overbooking or organizational needs your hotel list may be changed just before your arrival
- luggage labels to be fixed at each piece of baggage, which has to be carried
- hotel vouchers to be given to the reception of each hotel on your arrival
- information on the cities, towns and villages of the tour
Girolibero Greens booklets:
1) Detailed Maps of the itinerary: in colour and scaled 1:75.000/50.000, an altitude profile chart and maps of any historic city centres you would visit.
2) Roadbook describing the cycling route, stage by stage. Great on its own or in conjunction with the maps.
By your side
For the whole duration of your bike tour, you can contact us:
- office +39 0444 1278430 from Monday to Friday 8:30-13:00 and 15:00-18:30
- emergency phone number every day 8:00-20:00. The number will be specified in the Final Tour Details.