Alpe Adria Cycle Route
From Villach to Grado
from 490 €
7 Days / 6 Nights, 3/4* hotels
Web code IT244
SA 24.04 to 25.09.2021
Special departure dates for at least 5 people.
Season 1: 24.04 and 25.09.2021
Season 2: 25.04 - 28.05 and 29.08 - 24.09.2021
Season 3: 29.05 - 28.08.2021
Price per person
490 € in double room, 3/4* hotels
- 6 nights hotel accommodation with breakfast
- App including maps, points of interest and GPS tracks
- Digital tour information
- Luggage transportation
- Hotline service
- Local taxes (approx. 10-15 €)
- Train transfer Villlach-Tarvisio Boscoverde (approx. 30 min., 10 € per person)
- Everything not mentioned in the section “Included”
Supplements per person
190 € single room
100 € season 2
150 € season 3
90 € extention up to Trieste, 8 Days / 7 Nights
Extra nights in double/single room with breakfast:
70/100 € in Villach
50/70 € in Aquileia
Grado and Trieste on request
85 € Trekking bike
195 € E-bike
85 € Child bike
Additional bike accessories on demand:
85 € child trailer
15 € helmet (head circumference from 54 to 61 cm)
Free of charge: child seat
90 € 3rd adult in room 7 Days / 6 Nights
The reduction for the 3rd/4th child in room will be calculated on the basic price and seasons supplements according to the following table:
100% 0-2 years (baby cot to be paid on site)
50% 3-6 years
30% 7-10 years
Day by Day
Individual arrival in Villach, famous thermal resort on the river Drava.
2. Villach round tour (50 km)
Just a few kilometres from Villach, at the foot of the imposing mount Gerlitzen, you will meet the Ossiacher lake, the third largest lake of Carinthia. Cycling on the beautiful cycle path along the lake, you will reach famous holiday resorts such as Annenheim, Sattendorf, Bodensdorf, Steindorf and Ossiach. You will also have the chance to relax on the beach and enjoy the superb landscape.
3. Villach – Tarvisio – Venzone (40 km by train + 60 km by bike)
From Villach you will cross the border between Austria and Italy by train (ticket not included in the price) and in Tarvisio you will start cycling along the Alpe Adria Cycle path. Following the river Fella you will descend the Canale valley down to Pontebba, ancient border between the Italian Reign (and previously Serenissima Republic of Venice) and the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Further on, you will meet the ancient hamlets of the narrow Canal del Ferro (“iron canal”). At the end of the stage you will reach Venzone, a medieval town which has been declared national monument and famous for the production of lavender.
4. Venzone – Udine (55 km)
Leaving the Julian Alps behind you, you will follow the river Tagliamento and, before Osoppo, with a short deviation you can reach Gemona del Friuli, small medieval jewel. Cycling among the gentle morainic hills, you will pass through the Cormor Park and will finally enter Udine, historic capital of the Friuli. It is also a town with a Venetian flair and hides some frescoes by Tiepolo. In the evening do not miss the ritual of the “tajut”: a glass of wine sipped in good company in one of the many typical taverns in the city centre.
5. Udine – Aquileia (50 km)
From the hill of the Udine castle you will start cycling in the fertile Bassa Friulana plain, full of history and waterways. At half of the stage you will reach Palmanova, an ideal city of the Renaissance, built by the Venetians as a fortress with the form of a nine-pointed star. Finally you will get to your today’s destination, Aquileia, whose important past is still visible among the imposing columns of the Roman Forum and the masterpieces of the ancient Basilica.
6. Aquileia round tour (45 km)
Folowing the scent of the sea you will cross the long bridge over the lagoon and finally you will reach the Adriatic Sea. You can have a break and relax on the sand beaches of Grado, the ancient port of Aquileia, known since the 19th century for its thermal springs. Further on you will continue on cycle path towards the Nature Reserve of Valle Cavanata, a wet land hosting many bird species. Finally, you can go back to Aquileia through the farming area of Fossalon.
After breakfast, end of services.
Due to organisational reasons, weather conditions or provisions issued by local authorities, the itinerary may be subject to some changes before and/or during your holiday. For example, along the way you may find temporary deviations caused by roadworks, which cannot be foreseen; in this case please follow the indications you will find on site.
- Total length: 260/310 km
- Total vertical up: 640/840 m
- Terrain: 85% tarmac, 15% unpaved
- Train connection among the overnight stays: every day
- Possibility to shorten the itinerary by taking the train: day 3, 4, 5 and 7 (for the extension up to Trieste)
Mainly flat route with some ups and downs, on asphalted cycle paths or secondary roads with little traffic.
Leisure cycling in mostly flat areas, with only a few short ups and downs. Little effort required, suitable for everyone.
How to get there
Villach is connected with the following airports:
Klagenfurt: 40 km, Salzburg:180 km, Ljubljana: 120 km
Accommodation and meals
We personally choose all the hotels mindful of your comfort as well as the proximity to cycling paths and any relevant local sites.
You will be accommodated in 3/4* hotels.
All rooms have en suite facilities.
Some hotels located in mountainous places of Austria and northern Italy can be without air conditioning.
When you book the tour please specify the type of room requested:
- double room is a room with one double bed
- twin room is a room with two single beds
- triple room is usually a room with one double bed and a single bed or a sofa bed
- a family room could be converted into two double/twin rooms next to each other, according to availability
Bikes and accessories
Trekking bikes available in different sizes and frames:
- Trekking bike 21-gear Shimano
- aluminium frame
- rear rack
- anti-puncture Schwalbe tyres
You can also rent:
- Child bikes | 20” wheels | 24” wheels
- Child seat | max 22 kg | 1-5 yrs
- Child trailer | max 35 kg | 1-4 yrs | 1 seat
All rented adult bikes are equipped with:
- 1 cycle computer
- 1 saddlebag
- 1 repair kit per room
- 1 combination bike lock
At the moment of booking you can also rent helmets, suitable for head circumferences from 54 to 61 cm.
Before your arrival, you will receive an email from us with the digital information material. It contains:
1. Link to download the App including maps, points of interest and GPS tracks (you can use the App offline, too)
2. Link to download the tour information material in Pdf:
- Tour notes
- Final tour details
3. Digital travel documents:
- Final hotel list: due to overbooking or organizational needs your hotel list may be changed just before your arrival
- Hotel vouchers to show to the hotel reception upon arrival
- Luggage labels
By your side
For the whole duration of your bike tour, you can contact us as follows:
- office +39 0444 1278430 from Monday to Friday 8:30-13:00 and 15:00-18:30
- emergency phone number every day 8:00-20:00. The number will be specified in the Final Tour Details.
6 Client reviews
Departure 28 September - 04 October 2019
Online from 13 October 2019Another well organised, trouble free Girolibero trip through some of the most spectacular and interesting countryside in the world.
Departure 24-30 August 2019
Online from 04 September 2019Percorso piacevole, in un paesaggio molto vario. Un paio di tappe possono risultare un po' faticose, ma comunque alla portata di tutti.
Departure 10-16 August 2019
Online from 03 September 2019viaggio assolutamente da fare!
Departure 22-28 June 2019
Online from 14 July 2019
Departure 25-31 May 2019
Online from 08 June 2019Enjoyable easy route. Unfortunately the weather was very wet for three days but the frequent efficient rail connections were a great help.
Highlights for us were cycling through tunnels on the old railway and the towns of Villach, Udine and Aquileia.
Departure 11-17 May 2019
Online from 22 May 2019