Apulia Short Break
Manor farms of Salento
from 515 €
6 Days / 5 Nights, agriturismi and masserie
Web code IT198
Every day 27.02 - 22.06 and 30.08 - 22.11.2019
Price per person
515 € in double room, agriturismi and masserie with swimming pool
- 5 nights hotel accommodation
- Breakfast buffet
- Welcome briefing in English
- Maps, Roadbook
- Luggage transportation
- Hotline service
- Local taxes (approx. 10 €)
- Everything not mentioned in the section “Included”
130 € single room
80 € Girolibero bike
190 € E-bike
15 € helmet
160 € half board (5 dinners, beverages extra)
Transfers (min. 2 people, to be requested when booking the tour):
45 € p.p. Brindisi - Caprarica di Lecce or reverse
55 € p.p. Brindisi - Uggiano La Chiesa or reverse
95 € p.p. Bari - Caprarica di Lecce or reverse
105 € p.p. Bari - Uggiano La Chiesa or reverse
Extra nights in in double/single room with breakfast:
55/80€ in Caprarica di Lecce and Uggiano La Chiesa
100 € 3rd/4th person in room
Day by Day
1. Individual arrival in Caprarica di Lecce, small village between Lecce and Otranto, at the bottom of the Serra di Galugnano. Accommodation is in one of the many “masserie” hidden among Salentinian olive groves and wheat fields. A suggestion for dinner? A nice local dish with olive oil produced in the nearby oil mill.
2. Caprarica – Lecce (55 km)
Today you’ll start cycling towards Lecce, world-known home of the Baroque style. You’ll discover the beauty of buildings and monuments made with the typical Leccese stone and enriched by sumptuous decorations dating back to the Kingdom of Naples. Then you’ll reach Acaya, a small fortified town built by the emperor Charles V, and continue towards the nature reserve “Le Cesine”. Finally you’ll get to the seaside, with its long sand stretches. After a deserved rest, only a few kilometres will stand between you and Caprarica.
3. Caprarica – Grecìa Salentina – Uggiano La Chiesa (60 km)
You’ll cycle in the so-called Salentinian Greece, a territory composed by 9 municipalities, where ancient “griko” is still spoken by elderly people. You’ll cross Martignano, Martano and its olive groves, and get to Carpignano. Don’t miss a bath in the crystal clear sea at Roca Vecchia, close to the mythical cave of Poetry, well-known by daring Salentinian cliff divers. Cycling along the Alimini Lakes, you’ll finally get to the pretty square of Uggiano la Chiesa.
4. Uggiano – Megaliths way – Turks’ Bay (60 km)
Today you’ll cycle on the famous “via dei Megaliti” (the street of megaliths) and reach enchanted places such as the isolated Stabile dolmen. If you are a greenery fan you can visit the Botanical Garden “La Cutura”, with a collection of succulent plants coming from 5 continents. Then you’ll get to one of the most beautiful places of the whole Salento, the unspoiled “Baia dei Turchi” (the Turks’ Bay), where the Turkish warriors landed in 1480, during the battle of Otranto. Here the deep blue sea will tempt you…but it’s time to get back on your bike! You’ll cycle to Otranto, with its white point into the Adriatic sea, and then to Uggiano la Chiesa for the overnight.
5. Uggiano La Chiesa – Castro – Otranto (45 km)
This stage is dedicated to the Salentinian inland, where you’ll cycle in the countryside until you reach the panoramic viewpoint of Castro, a village built on the cliffs where Aeneas landed, according to the legend. Then you’ll continue on one of the most beautiful cycle paths of Italy: after Punta Palascia you’ll head to Torre del Serpe and then again towards Otranto. So, if on the previous day you spent some time on the beach, today you can visit the castle and explore the narrow streets. Then you’ll cycle back to Uggiano la Chiesa through the Serra.
6. Uggiano La Chiesa
After breakfast end of services.
Due to organisational reasons, weather conditions or provisions issued by local authorities, the itinerary may be subject to some changes before and/or during your holiday. For example, along the way you may find temporary deviations caused by roadworks, which cannot be foreseen; in this case please follow the indications you will find on site.
Total length: 220 km
Total vertical up: 590 m
Terrain: 95% tarmac, 5% unpaved
Train connection among the overnight stays: NO
Possibility to shorten the itinerary by taking the train: NO
The route is mainly on secondary country roads with some unpaved stretches, all in good conditions. There are some short climbs.
Easy to Moderate: some days flat, others with some hills. Suitable for everyone with some cycling experience and a few physical condition.
How to get there
Caprarica di Lecce is connected with the following airports:
Bari 185 km, Brindisi 65 km
For further information on timetables and prices you can consult the following website: www.trenitalia.com.
Accommodation and meals
We personally choose all the hotels mindful of your comfort as well as the proximity to cycling paths and any relevant local sites.
You will be accommodated in typical agriturismi or masserie with swimming pool (seasonal).
All rooms have air conditioning and en suite facilities.
When you book the tour please specify the type of room requested:
- double room is a room with one double bed
- twin room is a room with two single beds
- triple room is usually a room with one double bed and a single bed or a rollaway.
Bikes and accessories
Girolibero’s City bikes are available in various sizes in unisex/women’s or men’s models. At the moment of booking, you can choose among the following bikes:
- City bike 27-gear Shimano Deore
- aluminium frame
- rear rack
- comfort gel saddle
- anti-puncture Schwalbe tyres
- ergonomic bicycle grips
- Speed Lifter system
All rented adult bikes are equipped with:
- 1 cycle computer
- 1 Ortlieb one-sided saddlebag
- 1 front bar bag or 1 map holder
- 1 water bottle (0.75 l)
- 1 repair kit per room: 1 spare inner tube, glue, patch, a pump, 2 allen keys and tyre levers
- 1 combination bike lock
At the moment of booking you can also rent helmets suitable for head circumferences from 54 to 61. All our helmets have a certification mark according to the DIN EN 1078 (CE) European norm.
The Information Pack (one per room) includes:
- final hotel list: due to overbooking or organizational needs your hotel list may be changed just before your arrival
- luggage labels to be fixed at each piece of baggage, which has to be carried
- hotel vouchers to be given to the reception of each hotel on your arrival
- restaurant vouchers (if you have booked half-board)
- touristic information
Girolibero Greens booklets:
1) Detailed Maps of the itinerary: in colour and scaled 1:75.000/50.000, an altitude profile chart and maps of any historic city centres you would visit.
2) Roadbook describing the cycling route, stage by stage. Great on its own or in conjunction with the maps.
By your side
In Caprarica di Lecce you will meet our representative who:
- will present you the tour
- will deliver you the bikes
- will be at your disposal (about 30 minutes) for any questions you may have.
The exact time and place of the meeting will be specified in the Final Tour Details. We kindly ask you to advise if you cannot attend the meeting.
For the whole duration of your bike tour, you can contact us:
- office +39 0444 1278430 from Monday to Friday 8:30-13:00 and 15:00-18:30
- emergency phone number every day 8:00-20:00. The number will be specified in the Final Tour Details.
2 Client reviews
Departure 05-10 September 2019
Online from 15 September 2019Vacanza assolutamente consigliabile
Departure 31 May - 05 June 2019
Online from 13 June 2019Very happy first experience. Biking through Italy allows you to see things which you would not see by hiking or driving. It is a good compromise to cover distance and "feel" the landscape. People you meet when biking are very supportive and helpful. They have respect for your undertaking.