From Milan to Lake Como
The best of Italian Lakes
from 890 €
8 days / 7 nights
Web code IT267
SA from 16.05 to 19.09.2020
Season 1: 9.05 - 26.06 and 6.09 - 19.09.2020
Season 2: 27.06 - 5.09.2020
Price per person
890 € in double room, 3* hotels
- 7 nights hotel accommodation
- Breakfast buffet
- Welcome briefing in English
- Maps, Roadbook
- Luggage transportation
- Ferry cruise from Como to Bellagio on day 5
- Ferry cruise from Bellagio to Lecco on day 6
- Hotline service
- Local taxes (approx. 15 €)
- Everything not mentioned in the section “Included”
Supplements per person
240 € single room
100 € season 2
Extra nights in Milan on request
Girolibero rental bikes including insurance against theft and damage:
85 € Touring bike
195 € E-bike
Additional bike accessories on demand:
15 € helmet (head circumference from 54 to 61 cm)
150 € 3rd adult in room
Day by Day
2. Loop of Milan (20 km)
You will start this short bike tour in the heart of Milan at the Darsena, the ancient port located in the fascinating Navigli district. Cycling among monuments, parks and palaces of this industrious yet creative metropolis, you will discover the greatness of its past, heading today towards a sustainable future.
3. Milan - Sesto Calende (75 km)
Following the course of the Naviglio Grande, the most ancient and important canal of Milan, and of the river Ticino, you will reach Sesto Calende, at the southern shore of Lake Maggiore. Once outside of Milan, you will pedal on river banks, among cultivated fields, verdant nature, picturesque hamlets and elegant villas.
4. Sesto Calende - Ponte Tresa (50 km)
Today you will start with some ups and downs on the gentle morainic hills between Sesto Calende and Angera, then will continue for a stretch along the southern shore of Lake Maggiore. Through the Verbano valleys you will finally arrive at Ponte Tresa, a small hamlet bordering with Switzerland, along the shore of Lake Lugano.
5. Ponte Tresa - Como/Bellagio (40 km by bike + ferry boat)
Cycling along the southern shore of Lake Lugano, you will reach Porto Ceresio and from here will continue in Switzerland up to Chiasso. Back in Italy, you will arrive in Como, which is worth a visit. In Como you will embark on a ferry towards Bellagio, the so called “pearl of Lake Como”.
6. Bellagio/Lecco - Trezzo sull’Adda (ferry boat + 40 km by bike)
Today’s stage starts with a beautiful navigation along the eastern branch of Lake Como, up to Lecco, the town of “The Betrothed”, masterpiece of the Italian novelist Alessandro Manzoni in the early XIX century. In Lecco, surrounded by the Orobian Alps, you will start pedalling along the cycle path passing through the “widespread museum” dedicated to the river Adda and to Leonardo da Vinci. Once in Trezzo sull’Adda, on the other side of the river, you can visit the workers’ village of Crespi d’Adda, part of the Unesco heritage.
7. Trezzo sull’Adda - Milan (50 km)
You will leave the river Adda and then continue along the banks of the Naviglio della Martesana, up to Milan. Along the way you will reach Gorgonzola, hometown of the famous Italian blue cheese. Don’t miss an evening walk along the navigli!
Departure after breakfast.
Due to organisational reasons, weather conditions or provisions issued by local authorities, the itinerary may be subject to some changes before and/or during your holiday. For example, along the way you may find temporary deviations caused by roadworks, which cannot be foreseen; in this case please follow the indications you will find on site.
In case of strike, bad weather conditions, technical breakdowns, safety problems or any other reason preventing the regular departure of the ferry boat (from Como to Bellagio and from Bellagio to Lecco), the ferry boat company can delay, cancel or deviate the navigation without notice.
In case of cancellation the ferry boat service will be replaced by alternative means of transport (usually by bus). The same applies if the ferry boat service is no longer foreseen (for example at the end of the season).
Total length: 275 km
Total vertical up: 2,050 m
Terrain: 80% tarmac, 20% unpaved
Train connections among the overnight stays: day 3
Possibility to shorten the itinerary by taking the train: day 3, 5 and 7.
In this route there are some uphill sections, partly on cycle paths, and partly on secondary roads with little traffic.
Some days the itinerary will be flat, others it will present some hills. Suitable for everyone in good physical condition and with some cycling experience.
How to get there
Milan is connected with the following airports:
Milano Linate: 10 km, Milano Malpensa: 50 km, Bergamo Orio al Serio: 60 km
For further information on timetables and prices you can consult the following website: www.trenitalia.com
Accommodation and meals
We personally choose all the hotels mindful of your comfort as well as the proximity to cycling paths and any relevant local sites.
You will be accommodated in 3* hotels.
All rooms have en suite facilities. Some hotels located in mountainous places of northern Italy can be without air conditioning.
When you book the tour please specify the type of room requested:
- double room is a room with one double bed
- twin room is a room with two single beds
- triple room is usually a room with one double bed and a single bed or a sofa bed.
Bikes and accessories
Girolibero bikes are available in different sizes and frames:
- Touring bike 27-gear Shimano Deore
- E-bike 9-gear Shimano
- aluminium frame
- rear rack
- comfort gel saddle www.selleroyal.com
- anti-puncture Schwalbe tyres
- ergonomic bicycle grips
- Speed Lifter system
An insurance against theft and damage is included in the rental bike price. In cases of careless or improper behavior the insurance will not cover the costs.
All rented adult bikes are equipped with:
1 cycle computer
1 Ortlieb one-sided saddlebag
1 front bar bag or 1 map holder
1 water bottle (0.75 l)
1 repair kit per room: 1 spare inner tube, glue, patch, a pump, 2 allen keys and tyre levers
1 combination bike lock
At the moment of booking you can also rent helmets, suitable for head circumferences from 54 to 61 cm. All helmets have a certification mark according to the DIN EN 1078 (CE) European norm.
The Information Pack (one per room) includes:
- final hotel list: due to overbooking or organizational needs your hotel list may be changed just before your arrival
- luggage labels to be attached to each piece of luggage to be transported
- hotel vouchers to be handed in to the hotel reception upon arrival
- Ferry-boat vouchers Como-Bellagio and Bellagio-Lecco
Girolibero Greens booklets:
1) Detailed Maps of the itinerary: in colour and scaled 1:75.000/50.000, an altitude profile chart and maps of any historic city centres you will visit.
2) Roadbook describing the cycling route, stage by stage. Great on its own or in conjunction with the maps.
By your side
In Milan you will meet our representative who:
- will illustrate the tour
- will deliver your bikes
- will be available (about 30 minutes) for any questions you may have.
The exact time and place of the meeting will be specified in the Final Tour Details. We kindly ask you to advise if you cannot attend the meeting.
For the whole duration of your bike tour, you can contact us as follows:
- office +39 0444 1278430 from Monday to Friday 8:30-13:00 and 15:00-18:30
- emergency phone number every day 8:00-20:00 which will be specified in the Final Tour Details.