The ‘Slow Food region’ through Barolo vineyards
from 660 €
8 Days / 7 Nights, 3/4* hotels
Web code IT164
SA from 04.04 to 10.10.2020
Special departures for at least 5 people
Season 1: 4.04 - 24.04 and 26.09 - 10.10.2020
Season 2: 25.04 - 12.06 and 5.09 - 25.09.2020
Season 3: 13.06 - 4.09.2020
Price per person
660 € in double room, 3/4* hotels
- 7 overnights
- Breakfast buffet
- Welcome briefing in English
- Travel Guide, Maps, Roadbook
- Luggage transportation
- Hotline service
- Local taxes (approx 10 €)
- Everything not mentioned in the section “Included”
Supplements per person
200 € single room
80 € season 2
120 € season 3
Extra nights in double/single room with breakfast:
55/75 € in Alessandria
Girolibero rental bikes including insurance against theft and damage:
85 € Touring bike
195 € E-bike
Additional bike accessories on demand:
15 € helmet (head circumference from 54 to 61 cm)
100 € 3rd person in room
Day by Day
1. Arrival in Alessandria
The city is divided by the river Tanaro. Piazza della Libertà and Piazza Duomo with its wonderful neoclassical cathedral are worth a visit.
2. Alessandria – Acqui Terme (50 km)
You cycle for a few Kilometers along the Strada Franca, an ancient road dating back to 1454. You will pass across smooth hills, woods and small isolated villages where you will be able to taste local products and excellent local wines (Barbera and Dolcetto d’Acqui among others). Acqui Terme: famous for its spring waters, like the “Bollente” situated in the historical centre.
3. Acqui Terme – Alba (55 km)
You come across the famous Langhe hills, the countryside and the vineyards as well as the splendid small villages of Montabone, Rocchetta Palafea and Canelli. The stage ends in Alba, home of the most precious of the truffles, the Tartufo Bianco, and of the famous wine “Dolcetto d’Alba”.
4. Alba roundtour (50 km)
This stage brings you to the very famous wine region of Barolo. The most widely planted and productive region of Barolo is La Morra, responsible for nearly a third of all wine labelled as Barolo. Near Bra the Castle of Pollenzo is worth a visit: it was one of the residences of the Royal House of Savoy.
5. Alba–Asti (35 km)
A route through vineyards and along panoramic paths which will eventually take you to Asti in the heart of Monferrato. Do visit the historical centre with its famous towers, the Romanesque monuments and the splendid Gothic cathedral.
6. Asti – Casale Monferrato (55 km)
Take advantage of the hospitality of the wine cellars and restaurants along the way, which offer an excellent enogastronomical choice. In Monferrato you will eventually meet the river Po, the longest river in Italy.
7. Casale Monferrato – Alessandria (45 km)
Further cycling across green hills and cultivated lands. Passing through the small villages on the right side of the Po river you will return to Alessandria where the tour ends.
Departure after breakfast.
Due to organisational reasons, weather conditions or provisions issued by local authorities, the itinerary may be subject to some changes before and/or during your holiday. For example, along the way you may find temporary deviations caused by roadworks, which cannot be foreseen; in this case please follow the indications you will find on site.
Total length: 290 km
Total vertical up: 3,400 m
Terrain: 91% tarmac, 9% unpaved
Train connection among the overnight stays: day 2, 6 and 7
Possibility to shorten the itinerary by taking the train: NO
Tour of an average difficulty mainly running on paved roads with low traffic. A bit more traffic is to be faced when approaching Alessandria and Asti. The highest elevation gap is on day 3 and 4.
Some days flat, others with some hills. Suitable for everyone with some cycling experience and a few physical condition.
How to get there
Alessandria is connected with the following airports:
Torino: 120 Km, Milan: 120 Km, Bergamo: 150 Km, Genova: 80 Km.
For further information on timetables and prices you can consult the following website: www.trenitalia.com.
Accommodation and meals
We personally choose all the hotels mindful of your comfort as well as the proximity to cycling paths and any relevant local sites.
You will be accommodated in 3/4* hotels.
All rooms have en suite facilities and air conditioning.
When you book the tour please specify the type of room requested:
- double room is a room with one double bed
- twin room is a room with two single beds
- triple room is usually a room with one double bed and a single bed or a sofa bed.
Bikes and accessories
Girolibero bikes are available in different sizes and frames:
- Touring bike 27-gear Shimano Deore
- E-bike 9-gear Shimano
- aluminium frame
- rear rack
- comfort gel saddle www.selleroyal.com
- anti-puncture Schwalbe tyres
- ergonomic bicycle grips
- Speed Lifter system
An insurance against theft and damage is included in the rental bike price. In cases of careless or improper behavior the insurance will not cover the costs.
All rented adult bikes are equipped with:
1 cycle computer
1 Ortlieb one-sided saddlebag
1 front bar bag or 1 map holder
1 water bottle (0.75 l)
1 repair kit per room: 1 spare inner tube, glue, patch, a pump, 2 allen keys and tyre levers
1 combination bike lock
At the moment of booking you can also rent helmets, suitable for head circumferences from 54 to 61 cm. All helmets have a certification mark according to the DIN EN 1078 (CE) European norm.
The Information Pack (one per room) includes:
- final hotel list: due to overbooking or organizational needs your hotel list may be changed just before your arrival
- luggage labels to be attached to each piece of luggage to be transported
- hotel vouchers to be handed in to the hotel reception upon arrival
Girolibero Green booklets:
1) Travel guide with valuable information about the history, artistic heritage, landscapes and places of interest of the areas you pass through during your tour.
Plus: local events, fun facts, suggestions on how to make the best of an extended break along the route, and tips on local wining and dining.
2) Detailed Maps of the itinerary: in colour and scaled 1:75.000/50.000, an altitude profile chart and maps of any historic city centres you will visit.
3) Roadbook describing the cycling route, stage by stage. Great on its own or in conjunction with the maps.
By your side
In Alessandria you will meet our representative who:
- will illustrate the tour
- will deliver your bikes
- will be available (about 30 minutes) for any questions you may have.
The exact time and place of the meeting will be specified in the Final Tour Details. We kindly ask you to advise if you cannot attend the meeting.
For the whole duration of your bike tour, you can contact us as follows:
- office +39 0444 1278430 from Monday to Friday 8:30-13:00 and 15:00-18:30
- emergency phone number every day 8:00-20:00. The number will be specified in the Final Tour Details.
2 Client reviews
Departure 07-14 September 2019
Online from 04 November 2019Positiv:
- Landschaftlich und kulturell tolle Tour mit sehr schöner
- gute Lage der Hotels
- Zurverfügungstellung GPX-Daten
- Streckenkennzeichnung durch die Pfeile ist
Departure 18-25 August 2018
Online from 25 September 2018Vacanza molto bella che consiglio sicuramente a chi ama stare nella natura e ama la buona tavola. Comporta fatica sui pedali ma ricompensa!