Island of Wonders and Wilderness
from 690 €
8 Days / 7 Nights, 3* hotels, “agriturismi” (holiday farms) and B&B
Web code IT007
SA from 4.01 to 26.12.2020
Other departure dates possible with supplement
Season 1: 4.01 - 26.06.2020 and 5.09 - 26.12.2020
Season 2: 27.06 - 4.09.2020
Price per person
690 € in double room, 3* hotels, “agriturismi” (holiday farms) and B&B.
- 7 nights hotel accommodation with breakfast
- Route descriptions and maps
- Luggage transportation
- Transfers as per programme
- Hotline service
- Local taxes (approx. € 10)
- Ferry tickets to Carloforte and Calasetta
- Admission to museums and archaeological sites
- Everything not mentioned in the section “Included”
Supplements per person
150 € single room (250 € in case of clients travelling alone)
160 € season 2
60 € non-Saturday departure supplement
Transfers (min. 2 people, to be requested when booking the tour):
70 € Cagliari-Cabras
95 € Alghero-Cabras
25 € Oristano-Cabras
45 € Pula-Cagliari
90 € Pula-Cabras
Own bikes tranaportation 15 €/bike
95 € Trekking bike
200 € E-bike
Day by Day
Transfer or independent arrival to Cabras.
2. Sinis-Oristano-Arborea (approx. 40/70 km, elevation up 150 m)
Start your trip with an optional loop of the fascinating Sinis wetlands where we will see colonies of pink flamingos, quartz beaches and reach one of the most beautiful spots on the island: the Phoenician ruins of Tharros. Then cross the town of the medieval historic centre of Oristano to reach Arborea.
3. Arborea-Arbus (approx. 50 km, elevation up 1000 m)
Cycle through the natural beauty spots of the Costa Verde to the Piscinas beach with its sands dunes over 50 m high – some of the highest in Europe.
4. Arbus–Nebida/Gonnesa (approx. 40 km, elevation up 770 m)
This leg takes you back into the ancient mining past of Sardinia, as we pass the fascinating aban- doned mines of Planusartu and Acquaresi. After the golden beach of Portixeddu and looming mass of Pan di Zucchero cliff, you admire the old ore washery at Nebida.
5. Nebida/Gonnesa–Carloforte-Calasetta/Sant’Antioco (approx. 45 km, elevation up 290 m)
After a beautiful descent to Fontanamare, you will reach Portoscuso, and board on the ferry to Carloforte, where locals still fish the Red Tuna fish. From Carloforte, continue to the island of Sant’Antioco and end your day in Calasetta.
6. Calasetta/Sant’Antioco–S. Anna Arresi/Porto Pino (approx. 40 km, elevation up 150 m)
Riding through vineyards and olive grows savour the quiet peace of the rolling plains of Sulcis. At Tratalias, visit the Pisan sanctuary, one of the most important monuments of the Sardinian Romanesque period.
7. S. Anna Arresi/Porto Pino–Pula (approx. 55 km, elevation up 530 m)
Final catwalk of your tour is the beautiful Costa del Sud with its gleaming white beaches, unspoilt natural landscape and imposing cliffs: Cape Malfatano with its 16th Century tower and Cape Spartivento. At Nora you will visit the ancient Phoenician settlement.
After breakfast, end of services.
Due to organisational reasons, weather conditions or provisions issued by local authorities, the itinerary may be subject to some changes before and/or during your holiday. For example, along the way you may find temporary deviations caused by roadworks, which cannot be foreseen; in this case please follow the indications you will find on site.
- Total length: 280/300 km
- Total vertical up: 2900 m
- Terrain: 90% tarmac, 10% unpaved
- Train connection among the overnight stays: No
- Possibility to shorten the itinerary by taking the train: No
The route runs on a terrain which is rugged in parts, with high cliffs ascending from the coast, interspersed with long sandy beaches, grass-covered dunes and breathtaking views. Two days are quite hard and hilly. The prevailing wind blows from north west.
Moderate cycling in mostly hilly areas with numerous climbs and downhill stretches. Suitable for regular cyclists with a good level of fitness.
How to get there
Cabras is connected with the following airports: Cagliari 110 km, Alghero 130 km, Olbia 175 km.
- From Cagliari airport (CAG) to San Salvatore private transfer is available on request. Quote is 70 € per person, minimum 2 people.
- From Alghero airport (AHO) to San Salvatore private transfer is available on request. Quote is 95 € per person, minimum 2 people.
- From Olbia airport (OLB) to San Salvatore private transfer on request.
Accommodation and meals
We personally choose all the hotels mindful of your comfort.
You will be accommodated in 3* hotels, “agriturismi” (holiday farms) and B&B.
All rooms have en suite facilities; some hotels may be without air conditioning.
When you book the tour please specify the type of room requested:
- double room is a room with one double bed
- twin room is a room with two single beds
- triple room is usually a room with one double bed and a single bed or a sofa bed.
Bikes and accessories
At the moment of booking, you can choose among the following bikes:
- Trekking bikes available with unisex/female or male frame
E-Bike rentals must be credit card protected.
All rented adult bikes are equipped with:
1 cycle computer
1 Ortlieb one-sided saddlebag
1 front bar bag with map holder each two bikes
1 water bottle (0.50 l)
1 repair kit each two bikes
1 combination bike lock
At your arrival at the first hotel of your tour you will receive a welcome pack containing:
- Detailed route notes, leg profiles and information, maps.
- Hotel List: due to overbooking or organizational needs your hotel list may vary just before your arrival.
- Luggage labels: to be attached to each piece of luggage to be transported.
By your side
In Cabras you will meet or you will be contacted by our representative who:
- will illustrate the tour
- will deliver your bikes
- will be available (about 30 minutes) for any questions you may have.
The exact time and place of the meeting will be specified in the Final Tour Details. We kindly ask you to advise if you cannot attend the meeting.
In the Final Tour Details you will find the contact phone numbers you can call during the tour in case of emergency.
The Girolibero team is always available for you at the office number during office hours.
7 Client reviews
Departure 15-22 August 2020
Online from 27 August 2020Paesaggi bellissimi, una Sardegna insolita da scoprire in libertà. Il percorso è abbastanza impegnativo, si apprezza di più se fatto nei mesi meno caldi.
Departure 31 July - 06 August 2019
Online from 11 August 2019
Departure 01-08 June 2019
Online from 13 June 2019Punti di forza: organizzazione impeccabile, cultura diffusa, interessanti anche i siti minori suggeriti, e natura selvaggia, bassa antropizzazione, strade con basso traffico (in giugno). Località straordinarie, ed i giusti tempi per goderle .
Departure 21-28 July 2018
Online from 26 September 2018Luoghi molto belli dal punto di vista naturistico, itinerario piuttosto povero per quanto riguarda architetture e vita culturale.
Il cibo in questa zona è ottimo e vario, prevalentemente a base di pesce (ma qualche porceddu si trova!).
Le sistemazioni e le tappe sono comode e ben congegnate. La bici con pedalata assistita ci ha salvati nelle tappe dell'entroterra (e anche dal caldo nelle altre tappe).
Departure 12-19 August 2017
Online from 24 August 2017Itinerario pienamente consigliabile, è da fare.
Departure 13-20 September 2016
Online from 28 September 2016la vacanza mi è piaciuta molto!!!
Departure 06-13 August 2016
Online from 11 September 2016Bellissimo tour in zone ancora abbastanza selvagge della Sardegna. Abbastanza impegnativo: non è per tutti. Organizzazione positiva: a parte il road map in qualche tappa non proprio aggiornato niente da dire in particolare. Alberghi in gran parte piacevoli.