Pisa-Siena along the Via Francigena
from 590 €
7 Days / 6 Nights, mainly 3* hotels, with a few 4* hotels
Web code IT165
SA 27.03 - 9.10.2021
Special departure dates for at least 5 people.
Season 1: 27.03 - 23.04 and 25.09 - 9.10.2021
Season 2: 24.04 - 14.05 and 5.09 - 24.09.2021
Season 3: 15.05 - 4.09.2021
Price per person
590 € in double room, mainly 3* hotels, with a few 4* hotels
- 6 nights hotel accommodation with breakfast
- Welcome briefing in English
- App including maps, points of interest and GPS tracks
- Digital tour information
- Luggage transportation
- Hotline service
- Local taxes (approx 10-15 €)
- Everything not mentioned in the section “Included”
Supplements per person
195 € single room
80 € season 2
120 € season 3
Extra nights in double/single room with breakfast:
60/90 € in Pisa
60/90 € in Siena
Girolibero rental bikes including insurance against theft and damage:
85 € Touring bike
195 € E-bike
Additional bike accessories on demand:
15 € helmet (head circumference from 54 to 61 cm)
100 € 3rd person in room
Day by Day
Individual arrival. Declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1987, Pisa is one of Italy’s top university towns and boasts a vibrant and colourful cultural scene, along with a host of other historical sites.
2. Pisa – Lucca (30/45 km)
Cycling through Pisa’s countryside, you join the Serchio river as far as Lucca. Today’s stage can be extended by taking the alternative route, skirting Lake Massaciuccoli and taking in the Chiarone Nature Reserve.
3. Lucca – San Miniato (45 km)
Starting from Piazza Anfiteatro in the heart of Lucca, we join the Via Francigena proper. Along the route, the ancient abbey of Pozzeveri, south of the Serchio, rises along a stretch which was notoriously challenging for early pilgrims, its dense forest swamped in marshland.
4. San Miniato – Colle Val d’Elsa (25/60 km)
Continue along the valleys and banks of the Elsa river, past the castles that once ensured safe passage to the pilgrims of the Via Francigena. Shortly before reaching Colle Val d’Elsa, you look forward to the appearance in the distance of San Gimignano, the medieval burgh celebrated for its timeless skyline of towers.
5. Colle Val d’Elsa – Siena (30 km)
Head for Montagnola Senese, home to the historic clifftop castle of Monteriggioni, which once defended the Republic of Siena. The heart of Siena, Piazza del Campo, is a short ride away now. Here the historic bareback horse race takes place twice a year: the Palio di Siena.
6. Siena – Monteroni d’Arbia – Siena (20/45 km)
The Via Francigena continues south following the ancient Cassian Way – the Roman route that once linked Florence and Rome – traversing one of the most picturesque stretches of Tuscany: the Crete Senesi. From Monteroni d’Alba you can return to Siena by bus or train, or simply cycle on and up through the gentle “Clays”, their moonscape lined with cypress trees and dotted with solitary shepherds’ huts.
After breakfast, end of tour.
Due to organisational reasons, weather conditions or provisions issued by local authorities, the itinerary may be subject to some changes before and/or during your holiday. For example, along the way you may find temporary deviations caused by roadworks, which cannot be foreseen; in this case please follow the indications you will find on site.
- Total length: 150/225 km
- Total vertical up: 1200/2340 m
- Terrain: 75% tarmac, 25% unpaved
- Train connection among the overnight stays: day 2 and 3
- Possibility to shorten the itinerary by taking the train: day 2, 3, 4 and 6
The itinerary poses an intermediate challenge and follows wherever possible the pilgrim way. You cycle mainly along quiet roads with occasional stretches of rough (but comfortable) track. The early stages are essentially on level land; from San Miniato as far as Siena the hilly landscape is steadily undulating, with climbs of intermediate difficulty.
Some days the itinerary will be flat, others it will present some hills. Suitable for everyone in good physical condition and with some cycling experience.
How to get there
Pisa is connected with the following airports:
Pisa: about 5 km, Florence: about 90 km
For further information on timetables and prices you can consult the following website: www.trenitalia.com.
Accommodation and meals
We personally choose all the hotels mindful of your comfort as well as the proximity to cycling paths and any relevant local sites.
You will be accommodated in mainly 3* hotels, with a few 4* hotels.
All rooms have en suite facilities and air conditioning.
When you book the tour please specify the type of room requested:
- double room is a room with one double bed
- twin room is a room with two single beds
- triple room is usually a room with one double bed and a single bed or a sofa bed.
Bikes and accessories
Girolibero bikes are available in different sizes and frames:
- Touring bike 27-gear Shimano Deore
- E-bike 9-gear Shimano
- aluminium frame
- rear rack
- comfort gel saddle www.selleroyal.com
- anti-puncture Schwalbe tyres
- ergonomic bicycle grips
- Speed Lifter system
All rented adult bikes are equipped with:
- 1 cycle computer
- 1 Ortlieb one-sided saddlebag
- 1 front bar bag
- 1 water bottle (0.75 l)
- 1 repair kit per room: 1 spare inner tube, glue, patch, a pump, 2 allen keys and tyre levers
- 1 combination bike lock
At the moment of booking you can also rent helmets, suitable for head circumferences from 54 to 61 cm. All helmets have a certification mark according to the DIN EN 1078 (CE) European norm.
Before your arrival, you will receive an email from us with the digital information material. It contains:
1. Link to download the App including maps, points of interest and GPS tracks (you can use the App offline, too)
2. Link to download the tour information material in Pdf:
- Tour notes
- Final tour details
- Travel guide with valuable information about the history, artistic heritage, landscapes and places of interest of the areas you pass through during your tour. Plus: local events, fun facts, suggestions on how to make the best of an extended break along the route, and tips on local wining and dining.
3. Digital travel documents:
- Final hotel list: due to overbooking or organizational needs your hotel list may be changed just before your arrival
- Hotel vouchers to show to the hotel reception upon arrival
- Luggage labels
By your side
In Pisa you will meet our representative who:
- will illustrate the tour
- will deliver your bikes
- will be available (about 30 minutes) for any questions you may have.
The exact time and place of the meeting will be specified in the Final Tour Details. We kindly ask you to advise if you cannot attend the meeting.
For the whole duration of your bike tour, you can contact us as follows:
- office +39 0444 1278430 from Monday to Friday 8:30-13:00 and 15:00-18:30
- emergency phone number every day 8:00-20:00. The number will be specified in the Final Tour Details.
2 Client reviews
Departure 06-12 July 2019
Online from 17 July 2019
Departure 11-17 August 2018
Online from 30 September 2018itinerario da provare ma con un po' di allenamento oppure con una bici con pedalata assistita