The green and spiritual heart of Italy
from 650 €
8 Days / 7 Nights, 3* hotels (with a family-run 2* hotel in Perugia)
Web code IT019
SA 25.04 - 12.09.2020
Special departure dates for at least 5 people.
Season 1: 25.04 - 22.05.2020 and 29.08 - 12.09.2020
Season 2: 23.05 - 28.08.2020
Price per person
650 € in double room, 3* hotels (with a family-run 2* hotel in Perugia)
- 7-nights hotel accommodation
- Breakfast buffet
- Maps, Roadbook
- Luggage transportation
- Hotline service
- Local taxes (approx 10 €)
- Train transfer Magione–Perugia (approx. 30 min., 6 € per person)
- Everything not mentioned in the section “Included”
Supplements per person
200 € single room
80 € season 2
Extra nights in double/single room with breakfast:
65/90 € in Assisi
Girolibero rental bikes including insurance against theft and damage:
85 € Touring bike
195 € E-Bike
Additional bike accessories on demand:
15 € helmet (head circumference from 54 to 61 cm)
100 € 3rd person in room
Day by Day
1. Individual arrival in Assisi, the medieval town, birthplace of St. Francis.
2. Assisi – Spoleto (50 km)
This is the most exciting stage of the tour with many possible stops. The first one is Spello, a walled town with a large number of Roman ruins. You’ll reach then Foligno, famous for its two wonderful town squares. The stage ends in Spoleto, a well preserved medieval village.
3. Spoleto – Todi (60 km)
Today you’ll cycle among oaks and olive trees as far as Todi, one of the most beautiful medieval cities in Italy, perched on a hill and overlooking the Tiber valley.
4. Todi – Orvieto (45 km)
You cycle through small villages in the middle of the nature. On the last kilometres the white tuff cliff town of Orvieto will emerge from the rolling hills. The Gothic façade of the cathedral of Orvieto is just one of the many unique monuments covering millenniums of history.
5. Orvieto – Città della Pieve (45 km)
Today the stage is quite demanding: you’ll cycle through rolling hills, but you’ll be highly rewarded by reaching your destination: Città della Pieve, a medieval village still surrounded by 14th century city walls.
6. Città della Pieve – Perugia (60 km by bike + 20 km by train)
You’ll reach the beautiful Trasimeno Lake and pedal along its northern shores till you get to Magione and its castle. From here take a train to Perugia, a splendid old town surrounded by Etruscan city walls.
7. Perugia – Assisi (35 km)
You’ll cross the Tiber plain and reach Santa Maria degli Angeli at the foot of Assisi: here many places are linked to the everyday life of Saint Francis. The town will astonish you with its art, monuments and the 13th century Basilica.
Departure after breakfast.
Due to organisational reasons, weather conditions or provisions issued by local authorities, the itinerary may be subject to some changes before and/or during your holiday. For example, along the way you may find temporary deviations caused by roadworks, which cannot be foreseen; in this case please follow the indications you will find on site.
- Total length: 295 km
- Total vertical up: 3,870 m
- Terrain: 85% tarmac, 15% unpaved
- Train connection among the overnight stays: day 2 and 7
- Possibility to shorten the itinerary by taking the train: day 2, 5, 6
The level of difficulty of this itinerary is moderate. The route follows mainly the asphalt low traffic roads and each day you will have to climb a few little steep slopes. The stages between Spoleto and Orvieto are the most challenging ones.
Hilly areas, numerous climbs and downhill stretches. Suitable for regular cyclists with a good level of fitness.
How to get there
Assisi is connected with the following airports:
Perugia: 30 Km, Rome: 190 Km, Florence: 180 Km, Pisa: 250 Km
For further information on timetables and prices you can consult the following website: www.trenitalia.com.
Accommodation and meals
We personally choose all the hotels mindful of your comfort as well as the proximity to cycling paths and any relevant local sites.
You will be accommodated in 3* hotels (with a family-run 2* hotel in Perugia).
All rooms have en suite facilities and air conditioning. In 2* hotels there may be some cases of accommodation without air conditioning.
When you book the tour please specify the type of room requested:
- double room is a room with one double bed
- twin room is a room with two single beds
- triple room is usually a room with one double bed and a single bed or a sofabed.
Bikes and accessories
Girolibero bikes are available in different sizes and frames:
- Touring bike 27-gear Shimano Deore
- E-bike 9-gear Shimano
- aluminium frame
- rear rack
- comfort gel saddle www.selleroyal.com
- anti-puncture Schwalbe tyres
- ergonomic bicycle grips
- Speed Lifter system
An insurance against theft and damage is included in the rental bike price. In cases of careless or improper behavior the insurance will not cover the costs.
All rented adult bikes are equipped with:
1 cycle computer
1 Ortlieb one-sided saddlebag
1 front bar bag or 1 map holder
1 water bottle (0.75 l)
1 repair kit per room: 1 spare inner tube, glue, patch, a pump, 2 allen keys and tyre levers
1 combination bike lock
At the moment of booking you can also rent helmets suitable for head circumferences from 54 to 61 cm. All our helmets have a certification mark according to the DIN EN 1078 (CE) European norm.
The Information Pack (one per room) includes:
- final hotel list: due to overbooking or organizational needs your hotel list may be changed just before your arrival
- luggage labels to be attached to each piece of luggage to be transported
- hotel vouchers to be handed in to the hotel reception upon arrival
- information on the cities, towns and villages of the tour
Girolibero Greens booklets:
1) Detailed Maps of the itinerary: in colour and scaled 1:75.000/50.000, an altitude profile chart and maps of any historic city centres you will visit.
2) Roadbook describing the cycling route, stage by stage. Great on its own or in conjunction with the maps.
By your side
For the whole duration of your bike tour, you can contact us as follows:
- office +39 0444 1278430 from Monday to Friday 8:30-13:00 and 15:00-18:30
- emergency phone number every day 8:00-20:00. The number will be specified in the Final Tour Details.
7 Client reviews
Departure 14-21 September 2019
Online from 14 October 2019We had a wonderful holiday. We loved the amazing scenery, spectacular hilltop towns, enjoyed top class dining experiences in very affordable restaurants and we were delighted to meet warm, friendly and helpful locals everywhere.
Departure 31 August - 07 September 2019
Online from 12 September 2019We will book this tour again in a couple of years :)
Departure 21-28 July 2018
Online from 27 September 2018Esperienza che ripeteremmo domani..tappe ben calibrate intorno ai 50 km a giornata, dislivelli anche impegnativi ma godibilissimi
Departure 15-22 September 2018
Online from 25 September 2018Incantevole Umbria, in bici con Girolibero ancora più bella!!!
Online from 04 June 2018Our Umbria bike tour was a great success!!
The landscapes are magnificent.
Departure 01-08 July 2017
Online from 13 July 2017Bello
Departure 13-20 August 2016
Online from 09 September 2016Faticoso e bello